Tuesday, November 5, 2013

Manual Exposure

God I love it. The smell of the film, the snick of the back closing. I love the way that you can feel each "click" of the dials when you turn the. I love how bright the image is as I frame it perfectly (they are always framed perfectly in my mind when I take them, it's only after I get them back when I see the flaws) and then that final, decisive "SNICK" as another 33 cents is exposed to the light. Steel is real. No, wait, that the other blog. Film. That's what's real here. Only, the thing is, it is.

Don't get me wrong. I love, love love taking digital images of stuff. I can see what I did right or wrong and make changed or corrections to nearly instantly get the image that I wanted. But it's not the same. An image captured on a negative has a permanence that 16 megapixels of 00011110111 just cant' replicate. Digital images pile up by the thousands on the computer, never to see the light of day. No one is going o see them laying on the coffee table or hanging on the wall. No one is going to idly flip through a book of them while drinking tea on a rainy afternoon. Sure, some one (most likely the person who took them) can pull them up on the screen or project them onto the TV but there is a purpose to that, a sense of frantic that pulling out a packet of 4x6 inch prints just doesn't have. Oh, sure, you can print out your digital images. Have you? I recently printed out a bunch from a  family vacation specifically so that I could put them in an album for my son. Other than that.... not so much.

One of my FAVORITE current uses for my digital camera is to take shots and use the settings that I settle on as "best" to pass over to my Olympus OM-1n. The 2n and 4T do a lot of their own thinking. I like the way the 4T thinks particularly. The 2n is the most "fun" to shoot of them though.

So, I ask you: which is which? Can you tell? Which do you prefer? Which is more pleasing to your eye?


No comments:

Post a Comment