Sunday, November 10, 2013

Film is Fear.

I figured it out. I hate chaos and conflict. It's poison. But, on some level I crave it. I crave small doses of fear and trepidation (although I DO tend to shy away from "terror" whenever I can so I'm OK Darwin-wise for now). Film brings out that fear.

Each and every shot is a tiny little commitment of time, money and esteem. "Snick" goes the shutter and the waiting starts. Was the composure right? Should I have changed my angle slightly? Is my exposure off a little bit? Not only do I knot know, I won't know for hours, maybe days! Either way, it just cost me a third of a buck: right or wrong. "Snick"! Another 33 cents down the drain.

I'll take pictures all day long of EVERY THING with my DSLR. What if I do this, change that? Often I'll use it to recon the film exposure that I want to make. It's all kind of haphazard though. I really need to start writing things down with my "modern" cameras the way that I do with my "old" ones. I tent to just burn shots off on my Film EOS cameras too, at least in terms of note taking.

I am DYING to drag this new A-5 out and finish the roll. But with nothing particular that I want to shoot at, it would just be shooting to shoot and on film, that costs money.


So, from all my fretting about dropping 15-20 on buying, shooting and developing a roll of color film, you might take it that I am a non-smoker. You would be right. 

No comments:

Post a Comment